Thursday, August 21, 2008

It Pays To Be Prepared...

Okay okay okay...I have been the worst at blogging lately, but here I am with something somewhat interesting. Be prepared, for some reason I found that I talk to myself a lot and it is magnified in this blog. Enjoy.

So, I had my dream/goal/do anything to exercise list and on it was my desire to run a 10k with no problem. Specifically, the 24th of July 10k. Last year I accomplished this in a better time than I anticipated (48:12). This year I was less than prepared and basically just thought "hey, I've done it before, who cares if I stopped training in April when the half marathon was over?"

Being such a competitive person I would not let myself stand idly by while my sister and brother-in-law, who actually trained for this race, run it without me there giving them a little bit of competition. So, I sign up two days before the race and decide that I'm going to do it and that I have to do it in under 50 minutes or I will just be down right ashamed of myself for letting my running go by the wayside.

The morning of, I wake up and realize that the race starts in 20 minutes. Now, feeling completely rushed, I make my way to the starting line, looking for Beck and Vic in the process. Unsuccessful in catching up with them before the start, I put my ipod in and think to myself "what are you doing?" I hear the gun shot and I'm off.

About a mile into the race my right foot starts to kill. As I continue my run limp, I'm thinking "Way to be prepared Kate, you didn't make sure your nails were perfect before a race. You will now suffer for the next 5 miles." And don't worry, I did. I felt like the further I went, the more of a limp I had. I wanted to finish so badly and feared that I would not make my time, considering I was less than prepared in more ways than one.

I made it across in 49.38 according to the gun shot...for some reason they don't have the chip times in yet, which should be better. For being unprepared I was pretty impressed, but a little disappointed that I didn't beat my time from last year. Have no fear, I will finish with a better time next year...just wait.

Pushing it to the finish line...in the gray shirt :)
You can kind of see the limp run in this one...
I must say...I'm glad my legs don't look fatty like in most of my pictures from other races.
This is as I'm talking to Rach, thus the blurry face.ALWAYS REMEMBER: make sure your nails are nice and clipped and perfect for a race...or you could end up like this. I had to throw the socks away, sad day.Vic looks like "Ya, I'm cool, be jealous." - Beck" Yeah, I just ran this race in a better time than last year." - Kate "Take the picture, I can't wait to fix my bloody shoe."

-For the record, I sweat a lot, but not THAT much. I had a runner bump me when I was getting water and it went down the front of me. :)

1 comment:

Me said...

Thank you I was wondering about the details of your race!!! What can I say, even unprepared and with bloody toes you still do awesome. And your pictures are great!