Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fort Leonard Wood

I sent Mr. Army out for his 14 week adventure thinking that would be just that...14 weeks. Well, as we were closing in on week 8 he told me that his AIT graduation was September 25th. Hmm...that is 17 weeks, not 14. Yes, it's true. The army lied to me.

After getting over the initial shock of not having things go as planned (you would like I would have learned by now that they never do), we decided that I would make a visit during week 10 while Mr. Army had some time off in between Basic and AIT.
I headed out on the 6th not really knowing what to expect, but I was too excited to think about anything, but making it to the base. After what seemed like 2 days, I made it to Fort Leonard Wood just in time for him to get an "on post" pass for the day. Since it was on post, we had to stay on base and he had to keep in close distances to his "battle buddies". I met some of his company and took a tour of the base.
Over the course of the next two days, we tried to pack in as many "normal" things to do as possible. We went out to eat, shopping, movie, and driving...alot. Oh, and don't forget the junk food. I wish I had a picture of Mr. Army taking a bite out of each one of the dozen assorted donuts he was "really really craving".
All in all, by the time I made it home the following Monday, I had flown 2,300 miles, driven 1,000, missed a flight and much needed sleep, BUT I'd do it again tomorrow.
I was a little bit stressed when it was time for me to leave and therefore the background of the picture isn't so great, but he still looks good! He's so official :)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm glad you got to go visit him! 17 weeks is way too long!

Annie said...

Awh, our little Ben, all growed up and in the military!