Wednesday, January 9, 2008

10 miles and an epiphany...

If you have read any of Rebekah's blogs recently you have found that she is getting ready to run the Salt Lake Half Marathon and me, feeling as though I cannot be excluded from any of the sort, decided that I would stop dreaming about running it and actually train for it. Thus, I have spent the last few weeks working with a running routine that will help to promote my half marathon excellence. Last Saturday as I am starting to feel this wretched illness approaching, I hit my longest distance that I've ever run. I ran 10 miles in about an hour and a half, which if I have done my math right comes out to be about an 8 and a half minute mile.

While contemplating this run, I kind of related it to life...I know, look at me trying to be all intellectual, but hear me out.

I have found that the first 5-7 miles are pure bliss. I have such energy and so much drive to accomplish more than I ever have. Then around mile 9 I start to lose that momentum and keep thinking "Oh heavens, I just need to be done. I think if I finish now it will be okay because I will try to go farther next time." Though I continue to press through all I can think about is the end. I just want it all to be over so I can have that satisfaction that I did it, and did more than I have before. I realize that sometimes thats how I look at life. Take school for example, at the beginning of a semester I have so much motivation to do the best I can and to work as hard as possible to get the best grade. About 2/3 of the way through I want to pass out and just be done. After noticing this, I have come to see that I'm missing a lot of what life is about. Everyone says life is about the journey, not the destination...ya ya. But if you really think about, if you don't enjoy the "getting there" portion of the trip, how are you going to truly enjoy the end result? If I bust my booty every semester or on every project at work or in every relationship, but have such a downer attitude about it all, how am I going to really going to feel successful when I get that grade I deserve, the promotion I want, or the happiness that comes with caring for someone that cares about you? ...just something to think about...that is all for the dorky rantings of Kati for the day.

3 comments:

Gold-E said...

Good run, sissy. I can only hope to get as far. And great analogy of life.

Rachel said...

That's deep. But there comes a time that we just grow up and realize certain things in life. And sometimes we forget and have to be reminded. Just keep on keepin' on.

Elizabeth R said...

Im impressed... by both your physical accomplishment and mental awareness. Way to go Kate!