Monday, January 7, 2008

A homemade cake for the big 2-5

I've decided I live for birthdays...usually other people's. I love to spoil people and feel that your birthday is the one day you can do whatever you want and no one can say anything about it. For Ben's 25th birthday, which is today, the fun started on Saturday. I decided to be a cute domestic girlfriend and make him a cake...from scratch. All he said was he wanted a chocolate cake. Thus, I thought "hey! Ben went on his mission to Germany, and therefore, he should like German chocolate cake." It wasn't until half way through this extensive process that the thought came to me...what if Ben doesn't really like German chocolate? Regardless I continued the process and finished it right as he got to my house, just in time to see the topping melting off the sides because I hadn't cooked it to a thick enough consistency (I'm still learning) ...Have no fear, he loved it and is still eating it today. (He even said he was going to specifically ask for German chocolate cake, but thought it might be too hard. I'm awesome :)
On Sunday the fun continued when we stopped in at Ben's office to find that it was decorated by his sisters. They had bought some of Ben's favorite foods and scattered it all over the office. He was really surprised. It was good.











To wrap up his birthday, I took him to lunch today at the Cafe Rio and then gave him his gift. He seemed to like it all so hopefully he just wasn't trying to please me. I love birthdays. how fun.

1 comment:

lulu said...

Looks delicious! I love German Chocolate cake. How was the Roos party?
Lindsey (your cousin)