Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Exposure...

Song of the day: Stronger Woman by Jewel...great song, check it out!

Disclaimer: This blog entry is not intended to have any sort of TMI. Please forgive me if it ends up this way.

Alright, so I am not a big advocate of the doctor. I tend to neglect taking any medicine unless in dire situations, I avoid the doctor at all costs because the pain "just isn't that bad". Anyways, my mother suggested that I go to the doctor for a physical and to express some "concerns". I reluctantly comply and decide that she is probably right since the only time I have seen a doctor in the last 3 years or so was the booty incident (which for those of you that don't know, this was from a snowboarding accident where we thought I could have broken my tailbone). Anyways, so I had planned on making someone come with me to the doctor and at least sit outside to somehow bring me some comfort. This didn't end up happening and I was bound and determined not to freak out over the ordeal. So I go to check in and don't worry the guy checking me in, the one that can see all of my information, is a friend of a friend...thus not someone that you're close enough with that you don't care, but you know him enough to make you little bit uneasy. This is my first exposure of the afternoon.

After filling out the ridiculously long set of papers of how much I don't smoke and what kind of diet I prefer, I finally was checked in to see the doctor...oh how I dread moments like that. Alas, the doctors assistant beckons me to follow her to the office. She proceeds to ask about my life as an accountant where I tell her I really want to be a photographer. She gets excited about this and asks if I would ever be willing to practice by taking pictures of her and her daughter. I was really excited that she would even think to ask me, but accepted and hope that if it pans out I don't mess up because I really have only taken pictures for family...this is my second exposure of the day, life as a photographer, one step at a time.

Unfortunately, the worst is yet to come and I know it. The doctor comes in and I try to relax as he asks me every question humanly possible about me and my health, life etc. He gave me some great advice on running shoes and how to enhance my performance which is always appreciated. Then he hands me a sheet, a gown and says, I'll be back. We all know what happens after that...the longest three minutes of my life counting the dots on the ceiling. The 3rd and biggest exposure of the afternoon...way to make a first impression.

Does anyone else thinks it is completely awkward having to talk to the doctor after that? I did...I'm sure he noticed me dodging eye contact and fidgeting...oh well every girl goes through it, yes?

After I left I felt quite accomplished and independent for forcing myself to go through that, alone. I feel that I am capable of handling a lot of things on my own, the doctor was not one of the things on that list...
The last few days I have been told that I seem extremely mature for my age. Along with exemplifying my independence, noticeable to those that don't even know me. I found these comments to be intriguing and complimentary. I think that being independent and mature is a good thing, but in a way I felt this underlining tone in each voice that thought otherwise. Over the last couple of years I have grown up more than I had ever imagined and felt that I am just taking the course of action necessary to progress to make me the perfect girl...far from it I know, but it doesn't hurt to try. I guess my independence has been a little intimidating to some, but I think that without some independence you aren't going to get exposed to some things that are necessary...and that's my story, pointless ramblings, but hopefully somewhat entertaining.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Exposure is great, doctors aren't. I was just there last thursday for the same thing, sucks! But nonetheless, you are finally growing up and figuring out who you are and the things you want. Its great and you'll be the "perfect girl" for someone.

Becca and Billy said...

I know what you mean about it being extremely uncomfortable to talk to the doctor afterwards...ugh, I hate it.

Gold-E said...

The annual "exam" is never something I look forward to, but is a necessary evil (I hope you scheduled out for next year!). I go to a girl doc since she knows what's up with our bodies. You're a great gal, healthy, wealthy and wise (for your age ;D).

Unknown said...

the intimidation about being independent is only because those people haven't learned the beauty of being independent! And wow you went to a guy? I was too nervous and decided to go to a chick.

Elizabeth R said...

I don't know much about food poisoning, but I know about that lovely appointment you went to! I'm with Rebekah.. female doctor all the way. For me, it makes the comfort level instantly higher.