Monday, July 25, 2011

Bryce Canyon Half Marathon

Tacey heard that the Bryce Canyon half was a great course and a favorite among the locals. So, we signed up and drove the 4.5 hours (neither of us realized how far away it was) to Tropic, Utah.

The weekend started out with a free hotel, fireworks and a full moon. From that point forward, I knew it was going to end up being a good eventful weekend. I was not disappointed.

Tacey and I had to catch the shuttle in Tropic at 4:30, to be bused up the canyon. Race starts at 6am. It's the moments between waking up at 4am and the race start when you think "Hmm...why do I do this?" (these thoughts also run through your head at mile 7, and again at mile 11)

This course starts with a slight incline for 1.7 miles and then for the next 4.5 miles it is a sharp decline. From mile 7 to the end is rolling hills, aka total death. If it weren't for the nice doctor I met at mile 7, I might not have finished. He kept me company (and encouraged me to keep going) until almost mile 11. I pushed through to the end of the course thinking I was going to hit my normal range of 1:54-1:57; however, I broke my personal record by 8 minutes!! I kind of wanted to pass out when I was finished, but it was well worth it :)

Date: July 16, 2011
Race Time: 1:46:31
Age Rank: 20 out of 161
Overall: 219 out of 1019 
Finishing up. I always wondered why my back hurts after a race...well, this picture explains it.
 Documentation of my new PR.
 Tacey and Me
 Tacey lookin' good. Me being delusional.

No comments: