Sunday, August 29, 2010

Nightstand Make-over

A few months ago, I was on the hunt for cute black nightstands to match my bed and dresser, but was not really excited about spending hundreds of dollars on a table, with a main purpose of holding my alarm clock. 

So, Mr. Army and I were taking a little grocery trip to the Walmart (don't judge me),  and we met this lady in the parking lot that was selling all of the furniture from her storage unit because she was moving. The fact that we even stopped to talk to her was out of the ordinary for us, but I saw the nightstands and wondered how much she wanted. I ended up paying $60 for the pair of real wood nightstands that just needed a new paint job.

I've had these nightstands for probably 5 months and every time I looked at them, it would make me cringe. I like when things match, and I have an idea of the way things should look. Therefore, a change was in order. I think I was hinting to Mr. Army to complete this project for me, but he kept saying "Kate, I don't think they look so bad..." aka 'These are ugly, but I'm only going to tell you they look okay so I don't have to paint them myself.' 

Well, with Mr. Army gone, I have projects and an agenda. Last weekend's project was the nightstands. $6 worth of spray paint, and a little sandpaper...I'm extremely pleased with the result. Check it out!

Before
Loving the sun bleached top?
After
 a few nicks in the wood...already there, but I think it adds to the effect :)
 Ta-Da! I think they turned out to be pretty cute alarm holders.

3 comments:

Heather said...

They look great! Don't you love a cheap makeover? Way to go girl.

Unknown said...

dude they look so awesome!!!!

Rachel said...

A girl after my own heart.