Monday, July 14, 2008

Know When to Turn Around...

On Saturday Rebekah and I completed another one of our many races. We decided to do a 10K from East Canyon to Jeremy Ranch and back to prepare ourselves for the 24th of July 10K.

Beck has this huge fear that in a race she is going to miss the turn around and end up going in the wrong direction. Being the great sister that I am, I decided to put her fears to rest and not turn around when I was supposed to. Sure, I did not do this on purpose, but now she knows that it will all work out eventually. In all honesty, I thought as I was passing the turn around (that only had a little sign on the ground that was being covered up by people) "Maybe this is where I should be turning around..." but none of the people I was running with were 10K runners and therefore, they did not turn around. Basically, I end up going about a mile in the wrong direction and spend the rest of the race sprinting to complete it with Rebekah. I failed by about 2-3 minutes. Beck can now say that she has beaten me in a race and no longer has to worry about failing to turn around at the right point, since that only happens once in a lifetime, to one family, right? Let's hope.

All in all, it was one of the hardest races I have run and need to learn to prepare more effectively so this doesn't happen again! Words to the wise...get enough sleep, don't eat chocolate the night before, and most importantly...know your course!

If you want a better telling of this story and some pictures...visit this posting :)

4 comments:

Gold-E said...

I'll tell you what - I was impressed to see you 3 minutes after I finished. I did think for a minute you might pass out, but you appear to have recovered fine. And thanks for easing my fears of missing the turn around. You can bet you'll never do it again!

Me said...

That's crazy, I'd be so mad! So my mom is THINKING about doing the deseret news 10k on the 24th too (i can't remember if you said which one, that's the one you're talking about right) and I might do it with her. But you will beat me SO BAD!!! Anyway it would be fun to see you there if we do it!

Louise Plummer said...

Kate, I like your blog as well. To answer you question, I think it is a Dutch thing. One of my best friends, Christine, and her husband, Bill, lived in Holland a few years for his job. When I announced to my high school friends, who meet for lunch once a month, that I would like to have the lunch at my house in September, they all opposed it, saying that I shouldn't have to give my own birthday lunch. "No, no, I want to do it," I said. Christine piped in and said, "That's very Dutch. You always go to the birthday person's house to celebrate their birthday."

I had to think about that on the way home. And I came up with the idea that the Dutch are all Calvinists at heart, and don't deserve a birthday party unless they slave over it themselves. It feels very true to me.

Chelsey Hansen said...

Kati, you are really cool. I wish i could run a 10K right now. And don't worry about calling me back...the moment has passed..sniff sniff. Jk, i had a question, but it's answered so it's all good. And, yes, I would LOVE if you came to visit me. The front runner goes right to the bottom of my street if you want to give it a try!!!!!! Love ya!