Thursday, July 17, 2008

To Buy or Not To Buy...

I am sort of a complex person when it comes to purchases because I either take 6 months to 2 years deciding on every feature of the product that is necessary for fulfilling my supposed "needs" or I don't even think about it and just buy...


When it came to buying my first car, I started out looking into what would be the best bang for my buck since cars are not an investment they are basically just a money pit. I wanted a Volkswagon and quickly moved on realizing that I was not willing to take it to the dealership every time the car had one of its 87 lights appear. I finally decided on the Corolla...and then I researched for the next year which Corolla would be the best for me, and the cutest of course because people would see me driving this thing and I would not want to look anything less than amazing in it. Sadly, that really went through my head. Anyways, after two years I had decided I wanted a Corolla XRS because it was cute and reliable, but also sporty and fast even though to this day I don't know how to fully utilize these functions. I also knew that XRSs were not easy to come by in Utah and therefore decided I would "settle" for the S. Luckily, one fateful day I found my XRS and have been happy with it ever since.


Then comes purchases like the hiking boots. "Kate, you're going to need hiking boots for backpacking," says Ben. I just reply with "Okay, let's go to REI." 20 minutes at the REI, two pairs tried on, decide to go with the cuter ones (wow, for not being much a girlie girl, I sure care about the cuteness of my stuff). Ben is amazed that I didn't even flinch at the decision. My thoughts are...if I find something else that is better, I can always bring them back.


Well, I made another "6 month to 2 year decision" purchase...finally! I bought a laptop. Again, this is more of a money pit than an investment, but I feel that with building my own and getting the features that I need, and maybe a little more than I need, I can justify it. Also, I am walking away debt free from the ordeal which makes it that much better.


This blog was probably a waste of your time, but here is a picture of my new toy!



2 comments:

Bree said...

Awesomeness! Mike will definitely want to see this! Mine is a Dell XPS too! Although I'm willing to bet mine is the older version. Yeah for you, Kati!

Unknown said...

ooh how fun!