Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dumpster Diving.

The title is intriguing, isn't it? Sadly, it is exactly how I spent my Monday morning.

I'm not a big fan of Mondays in general, but spending 40 minutes in a dumpster at 6:30 on Monday morning makes me a little concerned about how the rest of the week will turn out...

Anyways, you don't care about how my week is going to turn out, you just want to know why I was in the dumpster. Well, about 6:15 my alarm went off and I had already decided that getting out of bed at 6:40 would still give me plenty of time to get ready for work. So, I started going over the things I needed to do for the day, what I should wear to work, and then all the things I needed to take to work...and where all of those items were.

My thoughts:

"Black slacks, cleaned and hanging in the closet. check"
"Mustard yellow shirt. Good option, yet have to wear that specific bra. Is that bra clean? Yeah, I think we're good there."
"Ipod...charged and in the purse."
"Work ID Badge...in the...oh my...it's in the bag I used for lunch on Friday, in the car, but I cleaned out the car on Sunday. That bag is...NOW IN THE DUMPSTER!"

I don't think I've ever leaped out of bed so quickly in my life. Since I work for a government contractor, getting the badge was a pain in the butt to begin with, and to replace it would be a nightmare. Not only does that badge give me access to the building and my office, it is how I log onto my computer. Also, it has my pass code token for logging in remotely. So many valuable items, now in the garbage. Not only that, but I knew that the garbage was picked up early Monday morning, giving me a very small window to start looking.Therefore, I spent about 40 minutes, in my pajamas, going through garbage. At first, I was like this:
But soon realized that if I was going to make any progress, I needed to actually get in the dumpster. So, I got my trusty flashlight from the car and jumped in. Remember how I said that the garbage gets picked up on Monday mornings? Well...that means that I got to go through a week's worth of trash. I was optimistic because I had only thrown it away the prior afternoon. Unlucky for me, some newlyweds had opened their wedding gifts and the garbage was now on top of my missing badge.


Slowly, I started to find remnants of what was in the bag with the badge, but no sign of the bag or the badge. I had removed so much of the trash, and was starting to really worry. Then, all of a sudden, I found the bag, and the only thing still in it...the badge. I almost cried, seriously. I stuck the badge in my hoodie and jumped out of the dumpster just in time to see the garbage truck pull up.


If that wasn't lucky, I don't know what is!


...all that for a stupid card.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my word that is nuts! I'm so glad you were able to find the badge!!

Lisa said...

I had a similar work badge heart attack when I worked for the state. After work one day I stopped at Walmart, and when I got home, the beaded lanyard that I keep my badge on was around my neck...with nothing attached. I had no idea if it fell off at work, or at Walmart, or in my car...I called someone at work to get them searching there, and went back to Walmart to retrace my steps. I couldn't find it anywhere! Finally I went to customer service, and some one fortunately had turned it in. I was so reliefed that I just bawled. Needless to say, I never used that stupid beaded lanyard again.