Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Do you ever have those moments when you have this intense unbearable craving? I'm sure some mother out there has had this during pregnancy, at least. Yeah...I've never been pregnant, but I still get cravings.

Craving of the week: Red Velvet Cake.
I haven't had it in years because it just isn't something that anyone has requested; therefore, no one makes it. Maybe if I grew up in the Western household I would have it more often, but I didn't, so I don't.

Anyways, we all know I have a sweet tooth, and this complex where I try to make it healthier to somehow convince myself it is okay to eat. Because of this, Cooking Light (by Taste of Home) is my best friend. I don't know what I would do without it. And, as always, it came through when I was looking for a Red Velvet recipe.

I made these cupcakes on Sunday and sent them with Ben to his family dinner (sorry Roos'/Grows, the recipe didn't make enough for the whole family). He came back and said his family loved them. His little sister emailed me to tell me how amazing they were. Well...I must agree that this recipe did the trick. My craving his been satisfied and now have a new fun recipe.

Hope you enjoy :)

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Yield: 30 cupcakes (serving size: 1 cupcake)










Ingredients:

Cupcakes:

Cooking spray
10 ounce cake flour (about 2 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk (I used lowfat because I couldn't find nonfat)
1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons red food coloring (I just put in enough to give it a good red color, no measuring)

Frosting:

5 tablespoons butter, softened
4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk
1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese)
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar (I didn't use quite that much, just go by how sweet you want it)
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare the cupcakes, place 30 paper muffin cup liners in muffin cups; coat with cooking spray.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon cake flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine cake flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Place granulated sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and 1 1/4 cups nonfat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add white vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and food coloring; beat well.

4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire racks.

5. To prepare frosting, beat 5 tablespoons butter, 4 teaspoons nonfat buttermilk, and cream cheese with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until smooth. Add 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla; beat well. Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ah i love that you referenced my family in this post :)and yes if you had grown up in my home you would have had this type of cake more often. In fact I just had red velvet cake for my birthday last week! I'm so impressed by your cooking skills chica!